It’s Chess Time!

This term our class have been lucky to have Alan visit us for a lesson each week to teach us about Chess.

Chess is a two player strategy board game played on a checkered game board with 64 squares arranged in an 8 by 8 grid. It was thought to be the first ever game that was played on a board with squares that had different types of pieces.

The game originated in Northern India in the 6th century AD. Back then it was called Chaturanga which translates to “four divisions” which is in reference to the four divisions of the military. Below is a list of the chess pieces and what their original names were:

Original Name              Current Name

king                                              king

adviser                                       queen

elephant                                    bishop

horse                                          knight

chariot                                       rook

foot-solider                             pawn

The first World Chess Championship was held in 1886 and was won by an Austrian called Wilhelm  Steinitz.

courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Our first session with Alan involved him explaining the moves each chess piece can make and where they begin on the board. From there he demonstrated some strategies that are used when playing. Mrs Baldwin was extremely impressed of the knowledge that most students had, especially with the strategy moves!

IMG_9451 IMG_9450 IMG_9449 IMG_9446 IMG_9445 IMG_9444 IMG_9443 IMG_9442 IMG_9360 IMG_9356 IMG_9448

Alan and Mrs Baldwin have also signed us up to the website Chesskid where we can practice the game against each other anytime we want.

Check out more information about how to play chess by watching this video!

What do you enjoy most about playing chess?

What have you learnt from Alan over the past few weeks?

Do you play chess outside of school? If so who do you play with?

15 thoughts on “It’s Chess Time!

1. Dear Mrs Baldwin I enjoy learning parts. I have learnt the four move checkmate. Yes I do play cess out of school at home on the computer.
    From Amani

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I like doing chess because of it is fun and cool to try and you can do it agent any one in the wold.
    from aimme.

3. Hi miss Baldwin
    I enjoyed playing games of chess.

I learnt how to do the lawn mower.

I do sometimes at home because I have a chess board at home and I play with my mum.

What did you learn from Allen ?

Kind Regards
    Alicia

1. Hi Alicia
      I think you are right because i also enjoyed it.
      I learnt a lot.
      I lost a lot but i had fun.

from Gianna

4. Dear Ms Baldwin,

I enjoy having fun & beating my friends,

I have learnt how to do the 4 move checkmate & how the pieces move

no I don’t play chess out of school

From Tarj 😄

5. Dear Ms baldwin

I enjoy learning chess because it leads to me winning matches and Allen is a good teacher.

I leant the fork and the fried liver attack witch has quite a funny name if you ask me..

I don’t play outside of school although I do do a chess club at 8 o’clock in the year 6-7 building.

6. Cool I’m learning how to play chess too! In fact I was learning since yesterday! I didn’t really get it but I’m getting the hang of it! I think practice makes perfect! And I think chess is pretty fun the first glance I played.And I think your class had a lot of fun playing chess!

7. Hi i am from Mrscdr class. Wow!! You guys play chess. I love chess i play it with my sister everyday .Chess is a game that you have to be careful what you do because if you do a move you cant move it. Chess was the best game it my life when i was 8. Wow India was the first country to play chess.

8. dear mrs baldwin,
    i learnt the lawn mower strategy and it Fun to do on people i think its a easy thing to do.

i play chess with my brother and my nana

i like chess because you can do it any time anywhere mostly and its fun.