Ordering Numbers

In Maths we have been learning about how to order numbers up to ten thousand. Our task was to write down a number between 1 and 10,000. We then worked in groups of 8 and we had to order our numbers from greatest to smallest.

IMG_9324 IMG_9325 IMG_9327 IMG_9328

We then had to explain how we decided which numbers go in which order. Check out our videos to see our explanations.

IMG_9332 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG_9331[1] from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG_9330[1] from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG_9329[1] from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

As you can see the place value of each number played an important part in deciding the orders of the numbers. In our number system, the value of a digit depends on its place, or position in the number. Each place has a value of 10 times the place to its right.

We then played a game using 6 x sided dice and 2 players. Each player rolled the dice and then used the numbers on the 4 dice to write the largest and smallest number possible. Many of us figured out the pattern that the whatever the largest number was, the smallest number was written in reverse. We had to do this 6 times each. As an extra challenge we then ordered our highest and lowest numbers into descending order.

IMG_9333 IMG_9334 IMG_9335 IMG_9336

Can you explain how to order large numbers into largest and smallest?

What do you find challenging with ordering large numbers and why?

Can you think of a time in everyday life where you would need to order numbers in ascending or descending order?

10 thoughts on “Ordering Numbers

1. Dear Ms Baldwin,

I look at the to first numbers.

Not much but they do look overwhelming.

Yes in building huge towers. <()<

2. to Mrs Baldwin,

I think that yould need to order numbers if you were to build/buy something.
    I find that if you have similar numbers it gets a bit challenging.

from ava

3. Hi miss Baldwin

I thought that the number patterns were fun cause we had to solve the problems and if we were in a problem w could use number patterns to solve the problems.

From Finn

4. to mrs baldwin

I think you do it by the first two numbers

I find large numbers hard because it takes sooooooo long

making stuff even

from James ps ill be writing my name as the kraken master on some stuff because its gonna be my youtube name

5. Dear mrs baldwin
    i think that ordering numbers from largest to smallest hard because ordering numbers that are very large can be a little hard sometimes. from Aarone

6. Hi mrs Baldwin,
    I find ordering numbers came easy to me because last year my teacher taught me well so I already new how it worked. My favourite thing was getting into our groups and ordering our number because it was fun to hear other peoples numbers and there strategies . I find it hard to order big numbers like 685743 because some numbers I can’t read people, they just look like a bunch of numbers.

From Sophia

7. to Mrs Baldwin,
    i use an easy way to order numbers by putting the highest numbers to one side and the smallest numbers to the other side and then fill in the middle with the other numbers .

from Monica