The Game of Persuasion

Our class has been learning about the text type Persuasion. This involves trying to change a person’s (or a group’s) attitude or opinion toward some event or idea. To be able to convince someone that your opinions or ideas are correct  you need to create some evidence to argue your idea.

Last week we were able to begin practising how to convince someone that our opinion was correct by working as a team to create some arguments to present to the entire class.

The topic was:

We believe that everyone on our table deserves a dojo point because…

We had to work as a team to write down as many argument points that would convince the class that our table was the best table in the room and deserved the points. After we were given time to write down the ideas we had to present our opinions to the class. We had to really try and think of some strong arguments that were convincing because everyone had a chance to vote for the table that they felt had the best arguments.

Here are the videos below of all the tables opinions. Can you guess which team won?

IMG 5485 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG 5486 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG 5487 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG 5489 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

IMG 5490 from skye baldwin on Vimeo.

Next week we will be looking at other examples in everyday life where we need to persuade people on a particular view or idea on a topic. We will also look at many examples of different persuasion texts and the language that is used. We will then use this information that we have learnt to help us write our own persuasive piece of writing.

Can you write an example of where you had to persuade someone that your opinion or idea was the right one. Did you convince them and how?

What do you think helps to convince someone to change their mind and believe your opinion on a topic?

Have you ever written a persuasive piece of writing before? If so what was it about?

3 thoughts on “The Game of Persuasion

1. Dear Mrs. Baldwin,
    I was looking through your blog and I really like it. Keep up the good work!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor J

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I love persuasion because I’ve done it before and it’s pretty fun to do,actually!
    Blake usually does it on me too so we usually do it on each other, so yeah.

From Jackson.