How to play Chess

Over the next couple of weeks our class are lucky to have Allen visit us for a lesson each week to teach us about Chess.

Chess is a two player strategy board game played on a checkered game board with 64 squares arranged in an 8 by 8 grid. It was thought to be the first ever game that was played on a board with squares that had different types of pieces.

The game originated in Northern India in the 6th century AD. Back then it was called Chaturanga which translates to “four divisions” which is in reference to the four divisions of the military. Below is a list of the chess pieces and what their original names were:

Original Name              Current Name

king                                              king

adviser                                       queen

elephant                                    bishop

horse                                          knight

chariot                                       rook

foot-solider                             pawn

The first World Chess Championship was held in 1886 and was won by an Austrian called Wilhelm  Steinitz.

courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Our first session with Allen involved him explaining the moves each chess piece can make and where they begin on the board. From there he demonstrated some strategies that are used when playing. Mrs Baldwin was extremely impressed of the knowledge that most students had, especially with the strategy moves!

chess chess

We have also had a chance to practice these strategies by playing against a partner.

chess chess chess chess chess chess chess chess chess chess chess

What do you enjoy most about playing chess?

What have you learnt from Allen over the past few weeks?

Do you play chess outside of school? If so who do you play with?

9 thoughts on “How to play Chess

1. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    with Allen I have learnt the four move checkmate which I did
    with Charlie W .
    What I like about chess is that it’s not a easy game and it’s
    a really good thinking game and it is a challenging game
    From Panashe

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    with Allen I have learnt
    how to castle .I’m not sure what I like about chess.
    From Josh

3. Dear Mrs Baldwin, Sometimes I play chess out of school with my dad he’s not very good to train with because he so so so good! i can’t play with my mum because she thinks she’s not to good! but for a beginner she’s really good.

I enjoy how you can beat people well not really but I just love the fact you can play and you can never really make the wrong move!
    From Megan

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I learnt how to castle and I learnt were all the pieces can move to I also learnt a few tricks that I can use.

What I enjoyed about playing chess is that any one can win and it is a very hard game because there are lots of things to remember. Its a very complicated game.
    From Gracie

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I enjoyed playing chess because when you play you can pick up a few tricks like if there is no pawn on A8 than you can move your castle up if your white and than for your next shot move side ways maybe you can use this it would be cool if you did thanks.

from jess

6. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    On the holidays I went to Singapore with my Mum and my Sister and my cousins.
    I loved it and my favourite part was a Water slide that I went on. it was epic and scary.

From Charlie k

7. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I enjoy chess because it involves thinking and concentration with Allen I learnt how to do the 4 move check mate and 3 move check mate. I play chess at home with my dad.
    from Kayley

8. Dear Mrs Baldwin, I enjoy chess because you train your brain and whenever you lose you can learn from your mistakes. With Allen I learnt how to do the four move check mate. Even if you lose it is polite to shake hands.
    From Luis