This Thursday the 22nd of May our school held an Anti-bullying focus day. In lead up to this day our class have had several discussions about bullying.
- Imbalance of Power – people who bully use their power to control or harm, and the people being bullied have a hard time defending themselves.
- Intent to cause harm – actions done by accident are not bullying, the person bullying has a goal to cause harm.
- Repetition – Incidents of bullying happen to the same person over and over by the same person or group.
We also talked about the different types of bullying such as:
- Verbal bullying – name calling and teasing
- Social bullying – spreading rumors, leaving people out on purpose, breaking up friendships.
- Physical bullying – hitting, punching, shoving
- Cyber bullying– using the internet, mobile phones or other technologies to harm others.
We then discussed about various strategies we could use to stop bullying such as walking away, speaking up against the bully, telling an adult you trust and sticking together.
Below are some videos from Stop Bullying – Anti bullying from the Cartoon Network Website that we shared as a class about strategies to assist with bullying.
We have now used Bitstrips for Schools to create our own comics using strategies about how to deal with bullying. We will continue to work on these next week and during homework time. All comics will be printed and placed on our blog for viewing in the next week.
What is something you learnt or were reminded about this week about bullying?
What is a strategy you would use to prevent bullying?
How do you think a person would feel if they were bullied?