Getting to know each other in Room 10

During the first couple of weeks of the year we have been spending time developing and building relationships between one another. Although we have no new students to Grange in our class this year, some of us have not been in the same class with other students for a couple of years. Here are some activities we have undertaken over the first 2 weeks of school that have helped us share information about each other.

Puzzle Pieces

We discussed how important it is to work together in a team. Imagine playing a game of Soccer and the goal keeper was not doing their job to protect the goals! We know it is important to work together, get along and help each other for us to succeed, learn and grow. There is no ‘I’ in team and together everyone achieves more.

We created some puzzle pieces that represent our own identities which also shows the diversity that we have in the class. These are of course 2 of our school values. Our puzzle pieces are a symbol of how we have different backgrounds, cultures and interests and that we need to acknowledge and respect these. If we connect the puzzle pieces together then it makes the puzzle complete because we all belong in Room 10! Check them out below!

Living Museum

On Friday of week 1 we held a ‘living museum’ in our classroom. All the students spent the first week deciding on 5-6 items they could bring from home that best represented themselves. Everyone had to create labels which had some information about each item and why they are special to us. We also had to think about how we would display the items on our table space so that everybody could see what we bought in.  On the Friday before lunch, the living museum was open and everyone quietly walked around reading and viewing the displays. Mrs. Baldwin really enjoyed this activity and she learnt a lot about the students in her class. There are so many talented musicians and sports people in room 10 this year!

Team Building Activity

This activity involved us working in groups of 4. Each group had 6 cups and a rubber band that had 4 pieces of string tied around it. We then had to work together to try and move the pile of cups to create a pyramid.  We were not allowed to touch the cups so this was quite a challenge but eventually we all managed to succeed. Once this was achieved our challenge was to then move the cups back into their starting positions.

This activity involved learning how to work in a group and helping each other to be successful. We discussed what qualities can make a good team member and what qualities perhaps hinders someone from being a good team member. As this year we will be doing a lot of group work in all areas of learning it is really important that we understand how we can work together successfully.

All these activities reflect Grange Primary’s school values in some way.

Identity

Students shared some information about themselves which resembles their identity.

Diversity

We have a very diverse bunch of students in room 10. People from different backgrounds and cultures have come together and formed our own family in the classroom with sharing, listening and learning interesting things about each other.

Friendship

We have been building friendships and relationships in the classroom by getting to know each other and sharing information in a safe and trusting environment.

Respect

We respected each others property during the living museum. We also respect peoples different opinions and interests during sharing time about each other. Everybody is different and enjoys different hobbies, sports and other activities and it is wonderful that we can share these with each other.

Enjoyment

We have all enjoyed getting to know each other over the past 2 weeks including Mrs Baldwin!

We look forward to continue to grow and learn about each other over the year and develop new and existing friendships between one another! Well done to Room 10 for being brave and sharing all these wonderful facts about each other!

What activity did you enjoy the most and why?

What was one thing you learnt about someone in the classroom?

10 thoughts on “Getting to know each other in Room 10

1. dear mrs.baldwin

i enjoyed the cup activity the most because of the challenge

this year i found out that joshes real name is josh and not joshua

from Jonathan

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I enjoyed doing the living museum because I enjoyed getting all the items and seeing what other people like doing.

One thing I learnt about Harrison is that he has FIFA 17 on Xbox One

From Zac

3. Dear mrs Baldwin ,
    the thing i enjoyed this year was the cup thing because it was a bit of a challenge

One thing i learnt about Jorja is that she is a big fan of harry potter written by J.K Rowling

From Kyra😃

4. Dear Miss Baldwin,
    I enjoyed the Living Museum because it was fun bringing things in and learning about others.

One thing I learnt about Matilda is that she loves to dance,ice-cream and the colour purple.
    By Constantina

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    My favourite activity was the Living Museum because i got to see what everyone is like.

One thing i learnt about Baylee was she used to do ballet.

From Ruby.

6. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    My favourite activity was the living museum the reason why is because I loved bringing stuff from home .

one thing i learnt about Jordan is her hand writing has got neater over the holidays.

from Tilly

7. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I enjoyed the puzzle pieces the reason why is everyone could see where my favourite place is
    One thing I learnt about Ruby is that she can ski
    Thanks from Jordan🐶

8. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    My favorite activity is the team building cup activity because my team was able to make a 5 base pyramid. One thing I learnt about Jack is that he has very adorable dogs and that he loves to read Harry Potter

From Jorja

9. Dear mrs Baldwin
    My favourite activity was the puzzle pieces because I tried my best and I thought that I did well.

Harrison I learnt that he is very nice to me
    By Archer

10. Dear Miss Baldwin
    my favourite activity was the living museum beacause everyone bought in some thing that they achieved when they weree young.
    One thing I learnt about is different identity.
    Regards .. From Tyler.