Picasso Art

Our first main Art piece for this term was a self portrait using Pablo Picasso’s techniques.

Pablo Picasso was born in Malaga, Spain in 1881, which is more than 120 years ago. Pablo’s real name is Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Clito Ruiz Picasso. A lot of the names are of saints and relatives.

By Argentina. Revista Vea y Lea [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

According to his mother, Pablo’s first words were “piz, piz”, which is short for lapiz – Spanish for ‘pencil’

Some of his paintings are amongst the most expensive in the world.

Picasso used many techniques and also created sculptures as well. One of his styles when painting portraits was the combining profile (side on) and frontal (facing) views.

Here are some examples

The Weeping Woman
The Weeping Woman
Dora Maar au Chat
Dora Maar au Chat
Three-Musicians
Three-Musicians
Seated Woman (Marie-Therese)
Seated Woman (Marie-Therese)

Our class have now nearly completed our own self portraits of each other using the technique of side on and frontal views of ourselves. We then used oil pastels to make our art work bright and colourful like Picasso had done in his artwork. We noticed that Picasso liked to use patterns as well so we designed our backgrounds using different patterns and colours.

There is also a wonderful website where you can create your own Mr. Picasso head. Click on the website below to check it out!

Picassohead.com

IMG_9466 IMG_9467 IMG_9468 IMG_9469 IMG_9470 IMG_9471

What did you enjoy the most about creating your portrait?

Can you find out an interesting fact about Picasso?

What do you like the best about Picasso’s artwork and why?

13 thoughts on “Picasso Art

1. Dear Ms. Baldwin,
    We are also creating a Picasso work of art: Picasso faces! We will be posting some of our completed products shortly to share on our blog. Pablo Picasso is an artist I found difficult to understand. But, I came to realize that artwork is how a person sees the world and the creations Picasso made were all part of using shapes in different ways! Our class is enjoying their works of Art because they are all unique.

2. My Favorite part about making my Picasso art was coloring because you can go endless you can make it rainbow and many more colors.:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dear Mrs baldwin
    i enjoyed doing the oil pastels the metallic colour’s they mad them stand out they look so grate and the were fun to do

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin

I enjoyed colouring my portrait and creating it with my friends.

Picasso liked to jumble up his paintings like putting a nose on the forehead and so on.

I like how he paints what he feels and has a good passion.

Kind regards Sergio.

5. Dear, Mrs Baldwin

We got to use lots of different colours. He uses different shapes,sizes and colours. He makes it look weird Because it looks funny

6. Dear Mrs Baldwin

Most enjoyed drawing and colouring our art .

Liked the best about the Picasso art is that it is unique.

7. Dear miss Baldwin, the picasso art was really fun and they all look fantastic and each and every one of them look different none of them look the same and they all stand out all of them have lots of different colours.