Geography – Continents and Environments

During Term 4 Ms Sweeney will be teaching us about continents and environments with a focus on South America, Africa and Australia.

The focus questions for this topic include:

• How does the environment support the lives of people and other living things?
  • How do different views about the environment influence approaches to sustainability?
  • How can people use places and environments more sustainably?

To begin with Ms Sweeney showed us a map of the world and we discussed what a continent is.

Continent: one of the large landmasses of the earth. There are seven continents which include Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

89959-004-732AD68F

We used atlases in class to look at these continents closely and to see where the division is between each one. It was interesting to see where the line separates Europe and Asia and we had to be very careful when drawing these divisions on our own maps so that they were as accurate as possible.

We have also looked at the Equator.

Equator  is a special imaginary line that runs around the middle of Earth. The line of the equator is placed so that it’s equal distance from each pole!

We also labelled  the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer and looked at the biomes of the world.

Biomes: are regions of the world with similar climate (weather, temperature) animals and plants.

We discovered that near the Equator the biome is mainly tropical forests and where Tropic of Capricorn and Tropic of Cancer are located it is mainly desert areas.

34-09

Below are some of our maps we have labeled and coloured.

IMG_8387 IMG_8390 IMG_8389 IMG_8388 IMG_8393 IMG_8392 IMG_8391

We also did a quiz on Africa and South America. Some of the questions included:

Which country has the largest land area/mass?

Which country has the largets population and what is it?

Which country do you find the most difficult to pronounce?

Which country would you most like to visit?

IMG_8394 IMG_8395

What have you found  interesting about the world map or continents so far?

What biome do you think Adelaide would be? What type of weather can you expect from this biome?

What is something you want to learn more about in geography and why?

6 thoughts on “Geography – Continents and Environments

1. Dear Mrs b
    I most interesting is the biomes and how many of them

I think our biome is something like this ☀️☁️ It is hot and cold

I won’t to learn about the core

By Cooper🎮🎮

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin, what I learnt was they Brasil has over 350million people in the country. Also I learnt ad out the equtar in the middle of the planet.

From mateja

3. Dear miss Baldwin…
    I want to learn about Charles Sturt because well yes I know a lot about Charles Sturt but want to no why he wanted to be adventure and tuns of IThere things.

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    What I have found interesting about the world map or the continents so far is basically nothing because I have hardly been in RBL and in Nunga Kids in that time.
    What I want to learn more in Geography is Everything in Geography because I’ve hardly been here for it.

From Jackson

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    What I have found interesting about the continents is that there can be so many counties in one continent.
    What I want to learn more about in geography’s the some of the countries in the continents.

From Hannah

6. Dear Mrs Baldwin,

I would like to learn a bit more about Asia because it is the only place I have been to and it would be good to know where to go if I am ever to go there.

I have found learning about tropic of capricorn and tropic of cancer and I also like learning about Africa because it is a really big place and there is a lot to learn about.

From Grayson