Mayoral Make A Book Part 2

Our class has been working extremely hard all term to complete our books for the Mayoral Make-A-Book Competition. Our post 2 weeks ago explained how we began creating our books. Now we have completed them and they are ready to be handed into a Charles Sturt library this week!

Once we finished typing our stories on the computer we printed them and spent some time doing the illustrations. We made sure that each illustration matched what was written on that particular page. Once all the pages were completed Mrs Baldwin bound our books.

IMG_8020 IMG_8021 IMG_8022

Next we were given some time to practise reading our books aloud so that we could record this on a video. We needed to make sure we used expression in our voice and that we were clear and fluent. Mrs. Baldwin then created a QR Code for our video that we have attached to our books.

What is a QR Code?

QR Code stands for “Quick Response” and is a mobile phone readable barcode. It was first designed in Japan by the automotive industry. It contains information about the item to which it is attached. They are now becoming very popular around the world and you often see them in a variety of locations and on items. All you need is a QR code scanner on your Smartphone or tablet and you can scan any code to find out more information about a product.

shoes qr maccas coke

We will also bring a copy of our QR code home so our family and friends can watch the video when they scan the code. We now hope to use these more in the classroom for other activities.

This week we had an opportunity to read our books to our CAT Buddies. We were very excited to do this and it was great to see the foundation students enjoy listening to us read our books and look at the pictures.

IMG_8099 IMG_8109 IMG_8108 IMG_8107 IMG_8106 IMG_8105 IMG_8104 IMG_8103 IMG_8102 IMG_8101

We wish everybody luck for the Mayoral Make-A-Book competition. We will find out the winners later in the year.

What did you enjoy the most about reading your book to your CAT Buddy?

Have you seen any QR codes around Adelaide or on any items?

What topic or activity would you like to see our class use QR codes for in the future?

9 thoughts on “Mayoral Make A Book Part 2

1. Dear Mrs Baldwin’s class ,
    I congratulate you on all that hard work for your narratives and hope the effort that you have put into making your books impresses the judges. All the best. I adore that Book Week display in the corridor, what a wonderful way to light up the passage with your reading lanterns. What a creative way to celebrate Book Week. I’m sure you had fun making them and what a lot of careful cutting and decorating. You must feel proud. I hope you remember to thank your teacher for supporting your efforts. What was your favourite activity during this special literacy week.
    Ellen

1. Dear Ellen,
      The most favourite activity I did was reading the Mayoral make a book to mine and Hayden’s cap buddy. The only problem was that he didn’t look much at the book.

From Jackson.

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    The thing I enjoyed most about reading to my CAT buddy was just reading the book to him and sharing it with him.
    I have seen QR code on Items in Adelaide and in loads of shops.
    The topic using QR for maths adding investigations

From Mackenzie

3. Dear Miss Baldwin,

the thing i enjoyed most about reading the mayoral make a book to my cap partner was seeing the excitement on her face.

the activity i would like to use QR codes on is in a fun investigation where you are learning about something and you get dressed up. Ex you are finding a way to figure out why onions make you cry and you record your self wearing a lab coat explaining it.

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin,I have seen a QR code on shows and at Mc Donald’s on a coke drink.
    To my buddy i mostly enjoyed reading my Mayrol make a book because Imade it with my friends.

5. Dear miss baldwin i enjoyed reading both books to my cat buddy because they are little and i like making my mayaroal make a book to read to my buddy . i have seen them codes before at home on some of my mums cards ,mcdonalds on the coke,chips apple pie and burger .from jess m

6. Dear mrs baldwin, I enjoyed reading my book to my cat buddy because he enjoyed the book and was exited how the robot was matthew (his name is matthew).

Dear mrs baldwin, I have seen seen one on mcdonalds food and at shops.

Dear mrs baldwin, we could make our dream houses on the computer if we aren’t already put them on a Qr code and it would come up with it.

Dear mrs ellen, my favourite part was making the lanterns.from kain

7. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I have seen QR codes at macdonlds,shops,sometimes at boost juice and at supermarkets.
    I liked sharing my marol maker book with my cat buddy because they really enjoyed it

8. Dear Mrs Baldwin’

I liked reading my mayoral make a book because mine worked out pretty well and they can get ideas for when they make them in the future.I also liked that the cat buddies liked our book so that made me feel good and made me feel proud of myself.

I have seen lots of QR codes mostly on the back of books or catalogues when I have had them in the past, but actually I have never bothered scanning because there probably not that important but I have seen them.I’ve actually got an app that I have never used so I deleted it but I will get it back and delete it again after I have shown my mom and dad.

I think we should use QR scans in the future for maths or science investigations.

From Grayson.