What can we predict?

It is important for everyone to learn and know a range of reading strategies. At the moment we are focusing on the strategy ‘predicting’. Effective readers use pictures, titles, headings, and text—as well as personal experiences—to make predictions before they begin to read. Predicting involves thinking ahead while reading and anticipating information and events in the text. After making predictions, you can read through the text and refine, revise, and verify your predictions.

One activity that our class did was using a Y chart to make predictions on a picture. Mrs. Baldwin gave us a picture which we stuck into our books and drew a Y chart which included:

Before – predict what happened before the photo was taken.

During- predict what is happening in this picture at that moment.

After – predict what would happen next.

We needed to look at the picture closely such as the facial expressions on the people the setting and use any prior knowledge and imagination to help us make a prediction on what could be happening.

IMG_5722 IMG_5721 IMG_5720 IMG_5719 IMG_5718

Once we finished we could then find another person with the same picture as us and compare our predictions. We discovered some of us had similar predictions to each other, some had completely different.

IMG_5712 IMG_5711 IMG_5710 IMG_5709 IMG_5708 IMG_5707 IMG_5706 IMG_5705

When do you use the strategy predicting in a book that you have chosen?

What did you find the most challenge to predict, before, during or after the picture was taken and why?

Can you explain what prediction means in your own words?

18 thoughts on “What can we predict?

1. dear mrs b
    it wosant that hard for me to protict what happen.
    prediction means so have a ges.

by cooper 🙂 🙂

2. dear mrs b,
    producing means you have a geas whot it means or whot hapnd .

l think the most changeing was the guessing it was rille dilket

from finnigan 🙂 🙂 :):):):):) : )

1. I agree Finn It was hard predicting it because you had to look at it and think about it
      😋🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀:):):):):):):):):):):):);););)$$$&👴

3. Dear mrs b , predicting means to me like when you chose a picture or a thing and product what happen before ,after and during. ☔️
    😎

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin I predict when I’m at a new chapter or when I look at the pictures that give me a good imagine or prediction of what will happen next in the story
    Mrs Baldwin the most challenging thing about the picture before during and after was thinking about more when I already pretty much knew what it meant
    Mrs B,prediction means a astimated guess by gathering info of the things you get to see another word for prediction is estimation.

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    First I would like to say thankyou for putting my prediction work on the blog.
    You use predictions when you are guessing something in a book or a picture like we did.
    I found the challenge fun and I like predicting.
    From Jade😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

6. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    The thing I most difficult to predict was the beginning because it can start completely different but with children’s books usualally end the way you predict.

Predict means have an educated guess at something like what a movie or book is about.
    From David

7. Dear Miss B,
    My strategy of predicting a book is to look at the cover and the blurb then I think to my self will it be ficton or non fiction.
    The challenge of predicting the picture I chose was thinking what the baby did before and after.
    From Christian

8. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    I found after the most challenging because I did not know what happened
    It means in my own words to think what happened even though you don’t know

9. Dear miss baldwin i enjoy the pictures you gave us .i love pedicting in class because you can find out really well .i loved it when you put photos up on the blog .and i loved it when we went in to groups . from jessicam

10. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    You might predict in a book like guessing what will happened next or you might guess how many pages.

Well it wasn’t that difficult guessing what would of happened before or after because of their faces. From Kayne

11. Dear Mrs Baldwin.

When I want to know what it is about.

prediction means guessing about what will happen.

From Mackenzie.

12. Dear Miss Baldwin,

I found during was the most challenging to predict because i got the girl on the phone and it was hard to tell what see was saying on the phone.

predicting means basicly gessing .

From Kendra

13. Dear Miss Baldwin ,

Predicting means to take a guess .
    The most challenging thing to predict in a book would be at the end because you don’t know what happens in the next book.

From Jasmine

14. Dear miss Baldwin,
    I predict when i look at the front of a book cover and see what the carters are doing then i work what they might be doing in the book.Then i look throw the pagers and see if i am right.
    from jessica g