Morning Talks

Mrs Baldwin has been very impressed with everyone being very organised and enthusiastic when participating in morning talks each day. Each term we have a roster that rotates once a fortnight so that everyone can have a turn either in an odd or even week of school to present their morning talk to the class. The topics for this term are:

Week Topic Item to Bring
2 -3 Holidays Bring in a photo or object that shows the class what you or your family did in the holidays.
4 – 5 Where would you travel? Bring in a map or picture or object of a country or place you would like to travel to and why.
6-7 Favourite Book Bring in a book you like to read at home.
8-9 Easter What do you enjoy most about Easter time and why?
10-11 Free choice Bring in any item or presentation for the smart board of your choice.

Some students have already decided to present their talks using a PowerPoint slide that they have prepared for homework whilst others have brought in photos or objects to help discuss the topic. Having something to show or a PowerPoint presentation can really engage the audience and help them understand what you are talking about.

Why are Morning Talks important?

Morning talks really provide extra practice and develop your oral language skills. For a lot of people, including adults, it can be very scary presenting a talk in front of a small audience.  There are many jobs such as manager roles, teachers, politicians and even some sporting people who need to present a speech in front of people so it is important to practice the skills when you are young so that your confidence in your ability increases.

What are the skills in presenting a speech?

• Solid eye contact
  • Being organised by  researching your topic before hand and bringing it with you on the day
  • Decision making on how you will present the speech that makes it entertaining and informative eg: PowerPoint slide, video, drama play, conducting an experiment, pamphlets or handouts
  • Voice projection – making sure everybody in the room can hear you
  • Speaking clearly and fluently – making sure everybody understands you and you don’t speak too quickly or too slowly.
  • Confidence in your ability – standing tall and proud or sitting straight and facing the audience.
  • Ability to answer any questions about your topic once its finished

Here is a short video to give you some tips on how to be more confident when public speaking.

Morning talks can also give people an opportunity to practice good audience manners. It is important to listen carefully and show respect to the person that is speaking. This can be done by facing the speaker, providing eye contact and not being distracted by others around them. The audience is responsible for asking any important questions at the end of the talk.

This is the first year where Mrs Baldwin has seen lots of students using cue cards to help them remember what they are going to talk about. This is a terrific strategy and shows that you are organised and it can also give you extra confidence that you will remember all your important facts.

Well done to everybody and keep up the great job!

IMG_5432 IMG_5433 IMG_5436 IMG_5437 IMG_5447

What morning talk topic have you enjoyed this term or are you looking forward to presenting and why?

Why do you think doing morning talks is important?

What jobs or situations can you think of where you would need to present a speech?

Can you think of one skill that perhaps you do well when presenting your morning talk and one skill you might need to improve on?

14 thoughts on “Morning Talks

1. Dear mrs b
    I think morning torks is iportind because they tell you what they like we’re they have been or like what food they like and so on.

by cooper😄😀

2. To Mrs Baldwin I like morning talks alot because you get to share to other people what you did on the weekend or just all different things and at the end you can have comments and I really enjoy awnsering the questions and I also like listening to other people’s talks so I really like talks

From Kayne

3. Dear Mrs B
    I would think morning talks are important because your telling others what you’ve done during the weekends and holidays. It would be hard to just go around and tell people but when you have morning talks it’s just a bit more easyer.also if you just came back from somewhare you would want to tell them all that’s why it’s really important.
    From jake

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I think morning talks are important because your telling people about what you did and they really like to hear it. Sometimes you make people laugh and that good because you can tell they like it and they will really like if you get lots of questions and good questions.
    From Jude

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I think talks are important because people learn about everything they show
    From Merlin

6. Dear mrs Baldwin , I am looking forward to the last Morning talk for this term because it is free choice. I like free choice because you can talk about anything you want.:) 🙂

7. dear mrs b
    l,am happy about ester taok becomes l now whot l,am go to taok about l,am go to say how ange my mum and dad got from finnigan

8. To miss baldwin I am looking forward to seeing are cat buds this year I hope we can see them so i hope we can play and make with them this year I am so excited to see them again from Jessica g

9. Dear Mrs Baldwin I am looking forward to do the what is your favourite author or book I am waiting for it this Friday so I can say my favourite book or author is Liz Pichon and my favourite book is Tom Gates.
    From Christian

10. Dear Mrs Baldwin my favourite topic in morning talks is bring in you’re favourite book or series I like it because you can learn about people’s favourite books and some people like the same book as you from kain

11. Dear Mrs Baldwin
    I enjoy most morning talks because the well prepared ones are very interesting. You can learn and be reminded thing like interests,hobbies and places people have been.My favourite topic is the favourite book because I love reading and am interested in what kids are reading now days
    I bring things in and say things about it .
    From David

12. Dear Mrs Baldwin,sometimes I’m nervous about going up, and doing my Morning Talk but sometimes when I go up there I feel confident on what going to say.also,that Public speaking video is quite funny too

From Jackson

13. Dear Mrs Baldwin,

In sharing(morning talks)I’m good at having a clear voice and looking up at the audiece.I don’t know what I need to work on in speech.

I think sharing(morning talk)is important because it’s good for others to know more about you.

By Grayson

14. Dear Mrs Baldwin,
    My favourite subject in morning talks so far was the “Favourite book” because I think that it was my best morning talk on how I presented it because no one could answer the logic questions I asked. Hears one. One costs one costs $1, twelve costs $2 and four-hundred costs $3. What are they?
    I think that morning talks are important because we get to see what other people have done and we get to learn more about other people in a fun way. Another good thing about it is that we get to share what we’ve done aswell.
    From Hayden