Touch Typing Skills

This term we will be practicing our typing skills in computing lessons. Touch typing is the fastest way to type, and as technology is used so widely in society now , its important that we develop our skills in this area.

Here are some key things to remember when you are learning to touch type:

1. Use the correct fingers

2. Slow down, there is no need to rush.

3. Always rest your wrists on your desk.

4. You should shake your hands and relax your muscles if you get tired.

5. It’s important not to look at your hands when you are typing.

溫暖的角落
Photo Credit: Adikos via Compfight

This week we did two different typing tests. The first one was called 10 Fast Fingers and involved everyone having 1 minute to type as many words on the screen as accurately as possible. Everyone received a ‘words per minute’ score. This score has been recorded and we will have a chance at the end of the term to improve our speed and accuracy.

The second test was the typing speed test. This was a lot more challenging and involved us typing a paragraph using correct spelling and punctuation such as speech marks and capital letters.  We were given a score that included our time, accuracy and words per minute. This test will be taken at the end of the term to see if we have improved.

In the next few weeks we will undertake different levels in Dance Mat typing. This is a wonderful internet typing website that allows us to practice touch typing and develop skills in accuracy and speed. All students will also have a chance to receive certificates when each level is completed. There are 4 levels to complete.

All these websites are available on our blog under the “Learning Links”menu followed by clicking on “Other Educational Sites.” Good luck typists!

Ryan Seekrest Updating Twitter
Creative Commons License Photo Credit: Matt Law via Compfight

What do you enjoy most about using Dance Mat?

What do you find the most challenging when touch typing?

Why do you think touch typing is an important skill to have in life?

9 thoughts on “Touch Typing Skills

1. Dear Mrs Baldwin, hello thank you for putting up the typing page. I enjoy reading the page so……. thank you. Tomorrow its mothers day and i’m going to go to nanny’s.”
    From Megan

1. Dear Megan,
      I am glad you enjoyed the touch typing page. Perhaps you could write a comment about the typing and answer the questions that I have written. I hope you enjoy mothers day tomorrow with your family.
      From Mrs. Baldwin

2. Dear Mrs Baldwin, thank you I think the best part of dance mat is the level choices it gives you and the understanding of what we (kids) like. From my thoughts it is pretty great. I love how you just connect with the writing and animal helpers they give you on every level. I hope people think the same.
    From Megan

1. Dear Megan,
      That’s great that Dance Mat is helping you with your typing. It is always great when you have lot’s of choices when doing activities so you can chose what suits you. Well done with your typing in computing lesson last week. You did a great job with your speed and accuracy.
      From Mrs. Baldwin

3. Dear Mrs Baldwin i enjoyed the hideous and funny videos on dance mat.
    I thought that writing the paragraph test was quite hard, but it was great fun.
    Ilya Rm 9

1. Dear Ilya,
      Dance Mat does have some great characters which help you practice your typing! The paragraph test was a challenge, however with more practice this term on our touch tying it should be easier to do again later in this term. Keep up the great work!
      Mrs Baldwin

4. Dear Mrs Baldwin I am glad that we did Dance mat typing this year. It is fun and I think that I have really improved my typing.

From Noah

1. Dear Noah,
      I am sure by using Dance Mat your typing has improved this year! It is a great skill to have to type fluently and at a good speed so keep up the great work. I am sure you will see how much you have improved when you do the typing test again later this term after practicing using Dance Mat.
      From Mrs Baldwin

5. Dear Mrs Baldwin,

What I like about dance mat is that it makes touch typing FUN!
    I also really like it when you get a certificate at the end of every level .

I think touch typing will help you in the future for all types of jobs.

From Anah